I’ve mostly been updating you on experiment number one, which is the steps I am taking to improve my mental and physical health. I think this one has enough momentum that I could now focus on the other two experiments that I have started.
I keep very busy. Not only do I have work on the various businesses I am trying to make money from, but my wife works, so I primarily care for the needs of my daughter. Before Flora starts her morning classes, she is up cooking and cleaning. I try to keep the house clean and the dishes done, but she has standards that for some reason only she can get right. I love that she has high standards because it makes for a very clean and comfortable home life for us all.
I help as much as I can because I believe the husband should do whatever he can to make life easy for his wife and children. It does stop at supporting them the best I can. That is just the beginning. I am a very important person in my daughter’s life, and I take that seriously. I am just one of the many things that keep this train on the tracks, and I am proud to say that my wife rarely ever gets angry at me for something that needed to be done and I didn’t do.
The point is, I am busy, but my life is full.
Experiment Two – SEO
Since I redesigned this website/blog a few weeks ago, I have been diligently working on the search engine optimization. There are many details that contribute to the overall ranking, from page loading speed to mobile-friendliness.
I haven’t seen any dramatic jumps in organic traffic (traffic from search engines that I didn’t pay for). Most of the little traffic I get is from friends and family, usually by clicking on a link on Facebook. Some of the things I did to improve optimization are:
- Installed the Yoast SEO plugin – When this plugin is configured correctly and linked to the search console, it helps quite a bit. You must make sure you set up your properties and sitemaps correctly, but there are many YouTube videos that will help you do that.
- For every post and page, I use the extended functionality of the Yoast SEO plugin to make sure that it is optimized for various keywords. When you use WordPress, it adds a dialogue box that you can configure. Like this:
- I make sure I frequently post on my chosen social media platforms so that there are active links to my blog. Backlinks are more important to SEO, but, social media links help as well.
- When I comment on other blogs, I always link to JasonWeiland.net. While I don’t know how much this helps, I still do it hoping that someone follows the link to my website.
- Another point about social media: I have started sending out links to my blog posts on my personal I only have a little over a hundred friends, but I post it public and hope someone shares.
These steps is just the beginning, but I want to give it some time and note the results. Like any experiment, it takes time to see if the efforts you make have any effect. These are very basic steps, but many people still don’t follow them, and I want to see if I can get decent ranking just by following fundamentals.
I will make sure to update when I have any concrete results, or not for that matter.
Experiment Three – E-commerce Website
I’ve wanted to increase my income, so I either wanted to start an e-commerce or an affiliate website. I decided to start with an e-commerce website because while I was thinking last night, I came up with an idea that I have quite a bit of interest in doing. The affiliate website will be experiment four.
Since I have been trying to grow a decent beard, I have become very interested in products to help men groom the beast on their face. I have an idea for a name (which I won’t reveal yet) and a place to put the site. All I need to do is build it. I am going to go the drop-shipping route because I don’t want to get involved with stocking inventory or shipping products all over the world. The profit margin is lower with drop-shipping, but if this idea takes off, I might think about developing my own products (YouTube is awesome).
I have some experience in building e-commerce websites for both Shopify and WordPress. Both can easily be built using plugins, but I am leaning towards WordPress because I like the flexibility.
Again, I will update you when I have built the website, and it has been launched.
Experiment One – Quick Health Update
I am doing very well with my healthier lifestyle. I have been fasting daily, and except for a few beers and carbs on Father’s Day (which made me very ill), I have not cheated. I’ve been very good at staying away from sugar. I didn’t think I could stop drinking soda, but I did, and it feels good. I know how bad Coke is for the body, so I just stopped it altogether.
My mental health has been very good. Except for some withdrawals, which I think were aggravated by the beer I drank, I haven’t had any issues like depression and anxiety at all. A little numbness, shaking, and dizziness is all that have bothered me in the last week.
So far, so good!